Always in Our Minds....

Ladylong

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Nahar Ashabab.... How Come?

I'm a big fan of Nahar Ashabab, ever since it was first founded by the late Gebran Tueni. And I had the honor to be a part of the Nahar Ashabab's Family since its renewal by Nayla Tueni, even though my work in the hospital have drifted me away from the paper as well as my blog (no need to say anything more, you can clearly see how rarely I write nowadays...).

Nevertheless, Thursdays have always been a chance for me to see what's new on Nahar Ashabab, and what new issues are being discussed through this free space by the young generation. But today I was shocked when I saw this advertisement on the second page of this Thursday issue.

I can't understand how a newspaper, dedicated to the young Lebanese, and trying its best to promote better lifestyles and attitudes, can allow tobacco advertisements!!!


I'm not gunna be naive and pretend that smoking among young men and women is a fantasy! I'm very aware of the fact that smoking among teenagers has its highest rates in our region, but that would only mean that we should be doing our best to try to spread awareness about this horrible habit, not to encourage it in such an awful manner!!!

Nahar Ashabab was founded to address the young Lebanese population, aged 12 and above, to try to create a free space and a place for interaction, and it is really horrible to see that such place is being used to advertise for tobacco....

It is out of pure love and respect to Nahar Ashabab, that I decided to write this post today. I hope the editors and policy makers would make sure that such incident is not to be repeated again, for it goes against all the principles and pillars that Nahar Ashabab was founded upon...

UPDATE:
Right after writing my post, I send an E-mail to Nahar Ashabab's official, and he was kind enough to reply to me as fats as this morning.

Here's the reply I got:

DEAR,

I AGREE 100% WITH YOU, I FORWARDED YOUR E-MAIL TO NAYLA AND THE FINANCIAL RESPONSIBLE.

REGARDS

I would like to thank Nahar Ashabab's official (his/her name shall be anonymous, since I don't have his/her approval to mention it) for his/her fast and kind response. It's always great to know that there are still people willing to listen and act left in this country...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One anwser for why this happened: money

If you actually know these people, you might want to draw the attention of the higher ups in the paper, they may not be aware of what their underlings are up to to get money for advertising.

Paul said...

I second above. If you know them, and being a doctor, you should talk to them about it. I am sure they can find funds from other sources.

Moussa Bashir said...

excellent observation and good deed contacting annahar

Khawwta said...

I think it was a mistake.. well done ya failasoof

Anonymous said...

one word.....LOL